Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Highway Enlightenment

I was driving up to the studio this morning, with my new "Yoga Revolution" CD playing in the car, listening to Krishna Das, Donna DeLory, and Peter Gabriel..... And all of a sudden, it hit me.  I was in my car, northbound on I-75, having my own particular experience, (actually I was thinking about the line from the old Popeye cartoons, "I yam what I yam," and thinking how yogic it was!) and whizzing by me at 75 mph were hundreds of other people, driving in their cars, on their way to their destinations, listening to their music and thinking their random thoughts.  And for a split second, I recognized myself in all those other people, not knowing even what they looked like, or anything about them.  I felt connected, plugged in, aligned with the planets.  I wondered if that was akin to a glimpse of enlightenment, and then I wondered if any of those other versions of me driving down the highway were having a similar experience.

I remembered Douglas Brooks saying something like, "Everything you have ever felt or experienced has been experienced or felt by someone else.  You are not unique."  So there we were on the highway, all slightly modifed versions of ourselves, travelling through our individual realities yet sharing similar experiences.  And in that moment, was someone else considering their spirituality at the same time as me, and if so, did that mean our realities had come to an intersection?  Were we travelling the same path? (as well as the same stretch of highway?)

And, just as these kinds of moments happen, it was over in a flash.  The CD switched to the next track, someone changed lanes, my exit was approaching, and that sweet glimpse of pure perfection was gone- I was back to the mundane world of the morning commute.  These precious moments are such a gift and a blessing, a reminder that we are not alone in our journey, and that even in the seemingly non-spiritual events of our lives we can remember who we truly are.

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment